I could not believe the experience at the vet's today. Thankfully we don't have to go that often. Jake has been poorly since late Thursday night. Generally listless, panting, not eating, pooing or peeing and not drinking water. Since that lasted more than a day, DH and I took him to the vet this morning because at 17 years one never knows. Still don't know what's wrong as we'll have to wait for blood results on Monday.

But the good news is he's perked up a bit since coming back and seems a little brighter. He's had some water, had a pee, and even ate some of the "food" the vet sent home with him. Boy what do they put in that stuff? Must be some powerful additive because Molly wanted some too. I should mention that all three of my dogs are raw fed and wouldn't touch kibble if their lives depended on it, but whatever was in that can sure got their interest. I only agreed to try it to spark Jake's interest in eating. It smelled like liverwurst.

But I digress, what really got me was the vet tech's comments. I suggested that Jake's smelly ears might be a symptom of something, but she said no, all dogs get stinky ears. I said that's not true at all since normally Jake's ears don't smell and neither do Molly's or Riley's. Her retort was just wait they will stink soon. She also offered the comment that it's very strange that Jake's breath doesn't smell. I said that was due to his diet. And of course she asked what that was. You would have thought I said I feed them live babies the way she went on. In her "expert" opinion, that's why Jake is ill. I stopped her right there and politely suggested to her that she do some research before giving opinions on topics she is woefully ignorant of. The vet came in at that point and she asked him if he knew what "diet" she (meaning me) feeds her dog. Well of course he knows what I feed my dogs, I've told him that from the beginning. He said yes and that's why they have such nice breath. She looked at him as though he had grown another head. It was priceless!!! He's not all for a raw diet but he once said that he couldn't argue with the results he sees in my dogs. Guess he forgot to tell his tech about it. Anyway, if that tech speaks to me again like that, I will politely inform her boss that I will be voting with my feet and will take my business elsewhere.

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

another 'expert' who thinks they need no educating!

Good for you!!!!!

Hope Jake feels better real quick!!

Hopefully the tech doubted you enough that they will do some research and become informed.  I am sending good thoughts for Jake's full recovery.

IMO Vet Techs should not be advising in the first place!  Did she say where she got her degree? 

I hope Jake is feeling better.

Well Jake had a major relapse overnight. The anti-inflammatory he had yesterday obviously made him feel much like his old self but now that the drug has worn off, he's back to being listless, walking very slowly, etc. I'll know better tomorrow what's going on when the blood test results come back.

Andrea, I am so sorry to hear this.  At least he had a rest from feeling so badly. Perhaps that respite gave him some much needed energy to fight this thing.  We are sending our prayers to you and to him.

I am a vet tech and am well informed on most issues relating to dog health.  I usually let my Dr. do most of the advising and talking though.  I do want to say that it isn't diet that makes a dog have good breath or bad breath.  Bad breath is from dental disease and gingivitis.  So daily dental care is a must for any dog.  It is true that canned food has been proven to stick to teeth and without daily brushing, can increase dental disease.  Hard kibble and dental type chews and tooth brushing can reduce dental calculus.  I would say that most dogs over the age of 3 should have a professional dental cleaning once a year to further prevent dental disease, prolong life, and decrease "doggie bad breath".

Yes you are right Tracy I didn't explain myself very well. What I should have said that a raw diet goes a long way to preventing or minimizing periodontal disease in dogs and cats. The workout for the teeth and gums from raw meat and edible bone, which also includes some tough skin parts, acts to clean they teeth as they eat. Both my doodles are 4 years of age and the vet has told me they don't need dental work. Jake has had dental work because he only started a raw diet when he was 12/13. We can't ever be sure exactly how old he is because he was taken in by his first mom as a stray. The vet at that time but his age at about 2 or 3 based on the condition of his teeth.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Jacquie Yorke - DRC Director.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service