Doodles have received so much positive press lately and many people believe they are the perfect dogs. While they make wonderful companions, they are not for everyone.

These are some important considerations before you add a doodle to your family.

1. If you want a golden retriever or a lab that does not shed, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Most doodles shed to some degree and those that do not, do not look like either of these parent dogs. Doodles who do have non-shedding coats require a couple of hours of maintenance per week, and professional grooming every 6-8 weeks, just like purebred poodles. 

2. If you are just not a poodle person, DON'T GET A DOODLE. All doodles are at least 50% poodle so if the word Poodle makes you cringe, then do not get a doodle.

3. If you are allergic to dogs, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles go through coat changes and even if you are not allergic to your doodle's puppy coat, you may be allergic to his adult coat. Doodles have been deemed hypoallergenic by the media, but for most, this is not the case.

4. If you want a clean dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Many doodles love water, mud, and rolling in smelly things. Their coats can be like velcro and will collect twigs, dirt, burrs, leaves, etc.

5. If you want a low-energy dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Most doodles require at least 30 - 60 minutes of real exercise per day. Simply letting your doodle out in the backyard, or taking a walk around the block is not exercise. These dogs need to run. There are plenty of low-energy dog breeds that would be a better fit if you want a couch potato.

6. If you can't devote time and money into training, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles are intelligent and want to please you, but they are not born with manners.

7. If you want an independent dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles thrive on human companionship and most are velcro dogs. They need your attention and will demand it.

8. If you want the perfect dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. There is no such thing as a perfect dog, and just like other breeds, doodles can have a wide variety of temperaments and health issues.

If you are still interested in a doodle, that's great! But keep in mind that some of the pre-conceived notions touted by the media that have made doodles so popular are also reasons why so many of these dogs are abandoned by their owners. A doodle can be a wonderful dog and will provide you with unconditional love but you must consider if this is the right type of dog for you. Please do not break your doodle's heart.

Tags: DRC, DRC Inc, doodle, doodle rescue, doodlerescuecollective.com, doodlerescuecollective.org, goldendoodle, goldendoodle rescue, labradoodle, labradoodle rescue, More…petfinder, poodle mix rescue, rescue collective

Views: 2229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a great discussion, Jane! Thank you for writing it!
I would also add, "If you want a low-maintenance dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE"" That "look" that attracts so many would-be doodle owners requires a lot of time & money; there is major grooming involved.
Anyone who doesn't know what "matting" means should find out before they get a doodle, not after!
Yes, I definitely agree with the high-maintenance coats. I keep Noah's coat short and have him groomed about every 6 weeks.
Good discussion. On the note of allergies, my husband is allergic to dogs (not just doodles). It is their saliva that he is most allergic to. I put a jacket on Matilda if she is going to play with other dogs so their saliva goes on the jacket, not on her coat.

Do your research. Too many people impulse "buy" or "adopt"

It's the same proteins in a dog's saliva and their dander that cause an allergic reaction. There's a greater concentration in saliva than in dander or hair, so that's why it provokes a stronger allergic reaction.
Jane,
What a terrific article. You really hit the nail on the head. You know I've heard "reasons" for rehoming doodles for EACH of your 8 points. I'd also add: If you want a small - medium size dog, DON'T GET A DOODLE. I've heard twice in the past week that their "doodle grew too big"..... The average sized doodle is about 60 lb and they can be up to 100lb!!
Also, if you want a dog "for your kids" DON'T GET A DOODLE. Doodles need lots of time working with them on a daily basis, keeping their minds stimulated and reinforcing their behaviors. Kids won't keep that committment.
Thanks for this discussion.
Jane - THANK YOU - would you mind if I posted it on Facebook?
I think it would be a good place to post it since most of my FB friends are involved in rescue somehow - many they would share it and on & on. there are just too many fools that think a 'doodle is just perfect' - which of course mine ARE! - but they have no clue. I stand on the tallest rock in the dog park and give my speech about doodles to anyone that says 'oh, I want one just like yours. They are so well behave (caught us at a good moment),. their coats are gorgeous (yeah, that's 3 hours of grooming last night), they don't shed (total luck with Samantha!) and tall the other nonsense they repeat.
Yes, absolutely you may post it on FB. So many people are impressed with Noah's personality and calmness. What they don't know is that I spent $1,000 for training classes and went to class EVERY week from when Noah was 3 months - 7 months. I have met many out of control doodles at parks because the owners never bothered to train the dogs. Almost everyone that meets Noah tells me that they want one just like him as their next dog. I am very lucky that Noah has an amazing temperament, but he did not come to me with manners and I put in a lot of effort to make sure he would become a great doodle citizen.
You see so many people saying they want a doodle because "they have friendly temperaments and are good with kids." What people need to understand is that this description can fit any dog of any breed. It all depends on the temperament of the parents, the environment in which the puppies are raised, and the training & socialization that the owner contributes.
Yes, there are breed tendencies, but usually only when the dog is from lines bred for those qualities. When somebody just throws any two dogs together to make puppies, all bets are off. And with a mixed breed dog, even strong breed tendencies can be diluted.
There are lots of shy, scared, skittish Goldens and Labs who are terrible with kids, just as there are Dobermans and pitbulls who are friendly and wonderful with kids. People who are looking for these qualities in a dog need to understand that they have to look at the parents, the environment, and the individual dog, and not assume that every doodle is smart, good-natured and tractable.
I posted on my FB and added the additional 2. I hope that it reaches just 1 person who was considering a doodle for all the wrong reasons. PAWS CROSSED!
Absolutely on target!

Love your article, well ,no where near as much as I love my doodle! We call him Poodleous maximus because he is a huge, energetic, big pawed poodle, with the exuberance and food orientation of a lab.

But he is not an easy dog. As a very poorly socialized rescue pup, it has taken an immense amount of work, sweat and a few tears to get him to where he is now. He will never be "good with children" as they terrify him. He will never 100% come when called because he startles very very easily. He requires consistent grooming, tons of exercise and must always be reassured. Would I trade him? Never

Would I recommend a doodle...only if you do your homework and are prepared for any outcome.
I would love to put this on our site in the UK. Would you add the other two options and give me the permission to use it please, Jane.
We are getting inundated with uncontrollable and sometimes aggressive doodles at the moment and this is a "new" breed in the UK.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jacquie Yorke - DRC Director.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service