We adopted our awesome Goldendoodle Licorice almost a year ago (she just turned 2). She is such a love and if she could crawl in your skin she would. I just was wondering if anyone has a problem with their doodles mouthing. She doesn't bite, she just takes your hand in her mouth to play and those teethies are sharp lol. Most of the time she is licking you to pieces, but I can't figure out how to get her to stop mouthing or stealing and destroying socks. Any suggestions?

Views: 2978

Replies to This Discussion

Our 2 year old rescue doodle, does some mouthing - although as he is settling in and feeling more comfortable and finding out that we don't like it, he is doing it less. Our Springer Spaniel also mouthed us and still does to the members of the family who allow it. Our other labradoodle and our lab mix, other than puppy mouthing, never do this. None of my dogs steals clothes and never have. Our Springer chewed up lots of stuff including shoes when he was a puppy, but once he was out of puppyhood, he stopped. I feel really lucky I guess - either that or we give off the 'don't touch my clothes' vibe - too bad it doesn't extend to wastebaskets for either doodle!
Hi Tracy!
What you described is my dood, Tessa. She is all about the human love! Wraps those ballet legs around your neck and kisses you everywhere :) But then all of a sudden, the mouth opens and a little nibble happens or the hand gets grabbed... she's always done this. I think it's a lot to do with excitement. I would suggest, when Licorice does the mouthing to get up and ignore the behaviour. This does help with Tessa. When we get home and both of the dogs are excited, we let them out and ignore them. Once they are calm we give them love... no nibbles then!

Tonight Tessa stole my stinky sweaty socks, lol. We caught her in the act, chewing away, getting them all slobbery. We grabbed the socks in her mouth, claimed them with our hold. She dropped them and we said NO. Then we put it right back under her nose. If she goes for it, we claim it again. And keep the exercise going. Tonight she got up and left where we were sitting in the front hall, and we only had to do it twice. She had to submit to the exercise. I would also suggest, as I have had to do here, if you know the dogs likes to 'steal' certain objects, keep them out of her space or off the floor :)

Too bad they couldn't shred the bills!!! lol
Hope these tips help... Licorice is adorable p.s. :)
My doodle does that too!! That's the retriever part of them. They have soft mouths for that and they don't know what to do those mouths now that we don't use them for hunting. I tell him no - he generally stops. He never bites. Most people are aware of what's going on. The only time I worry is when he's with people who aren't dog people or if he get's really excited and then those teeth can scratch (ouch!!). But he's been known to grab my hand in his mouth when we're walking like he's holding it. It's a funny sight. LOL.
Our 1-year old Doodle, Riley was described by our vet as the "mouthiest dog he has ever seen!" He nibbles when he first wakes up in the morning on the blanket in his crate or whatever is nearby, he greats visitors by mouthing their entire hand or arm, and anything else he can grab. We have been working on correcting this behavior, and now as he leaves puppy-hood behind, we have found that he is getting better and better. A firm "Stop Mouth!" was recommended by our dog trainer and it seems to have made an impact. He responds well to verbal commands suppoprted by a treat, especially if we seem very displeased. We were also told to simply use the command "Drop" when he picks up shoes, socks, underwear and reward the "drop" with a treat. While I thought this might be rewarding bad behavior, I was told by the trainer that the behavior being rewarded was the good behavior and that he would understand. So now, when Riley grabs a flip-flop or socks, a firm "drop" will do the trick! Don't get me wrong, he will go looking for another one as soon as you're not looking, but we are moving in the right direction. A few months ago, the shoe thing would have everyone running around the house in the "great chase". Now it is much calmer and he will drop it immediately, it just takes time! Good Luck!

When my past doodle Max was about 10 months old he was one of those dogs that mouthed like you describe.  I didn't think anything of it until I showed up at my puppy class one evening and my teacher looked at my hand and saw some scratches on my hand.  She asked, what are those scratches from?  I answered quite nonchalantly, oh I was just playing with the Max.  She very sternly said to me that that behavior was unacceptable and would promote bad behavior when he was an adult.  I then asked her how I could make hi  stop.  She stated that for one week, I couldn't pet him.  I said how am I or my family members going to be able to not pet my dog.  She said if you want to break him of this habit, to trust her, which I did.  For one week I didn't pet him or stroke him in any manner.  She said to continue to praise him verbally and speak with love and affection.  Well a week later I started petting him again and the mouthing had stopped.  It's worth a try.  I will be looking for your response to let me know how you made out.  Good luck

Andrew, this discussion is more than 3 years old. 

I'm new to the site and the organization.  My enthusiasm blinded me for a moment, until I  hit send and realized the date.  oooooppps.  Still, maybe it will help someone currently.  I'm sure it's happened to others.  Thanks for the heads up

RSS

© 2017   Created by Jacquie Yorke - DRC Director.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service